
This was a once in a lifetime thing for me as I had no clue when we would return.
We were in an arb area sitting on the chairs we brought enjoying coffee and chatting.
Carlo had a horrible suspicion that we would be the only 4 people there. At about 19.00 hours more and more people arrived. They continued arriving from where I don't know. Some from our farm and others from other campsites
.
There was no room left to sit in the amphitheater but people squeezed in. Of course there were the people with no bloody manners that continued to arrive an hour to 2 hours late.
We were in complete darkness as there were no houses around us. Some people however seem to think that arriving with their lights on while others are looking at stars, that requires complete darkness is ok. The selfishness of the human race today knows no bounds. I couldn't hear so I moved to where the speaker was talking and pointing out stars with his laser. That a laser could go so far amazed me.
What amazed me more was the fact that we were sitting in a place few people had heard of. I was surrounded by people that had appeared out of the darkness, different nationalities. We sat there in the open and followed the speaker with his laser into a world that I know little about. 
For me it was an out of world experience only equaled by an evening at Ratanga junction with over a thousand people from all over the world, eating and listening to some of the finest South African opera stars sing. Both were indescribable and both I will never forget. The stars were so lovely and the speaker very knowledgeable. The kids that came enjoyed it to the full and contributed with sightings and great questions. I saw satellites traverse the sky and saw the youngest stars in our galaxy and the birthplace of new stars. Looked through a telescope at those young stars and marveled at my first look at the heavens so closely. I still could not get over the wonder of sharing this experience with at least 150 people I did not know and had no idea where they had come from.
Sitting on a hill of sand and stone looking at how our world is formed.
The passion of these men who take a Saturday to talk to anyone who comes is really great.
As I said it was really an experience that will stay with me forever.



No comments:
Post a Comment