Tuesday, 1 January 2019

DINNER AT CHEYNE'S HOUTBAY

FRUIT SALAD
We were recently invited to have dinner at Cheyne's in Hout Bay by some good friends.
 It's not a place I would normally have chosen,  I am not into taster type menus. 
I generally like a good plate of food. 
I have generous curves that attest to that.





I can pass on dessert but food...good food...by that I mean stew and meat, rice and potatoes, curry, pasta...Actually anything home cooked is my weakness. As Stan Freeberg used to say "Food is gooood"

We generally catch up with them at least once a month and they always choose an excellent restaurant. They did not fail this time either. I don't leave my house for many people but I do for them.



The Drive is very scenic and you pass by Rhodes Memorial, Newlands Forest and Kirstenbosch. 

















Table Mountain is also very close and in winter you can see the waterfalls. When we were young we stayed in Newlands in two different block of flats. We used to count how many we could see from the boys room, it faced Table Mountain. We would do this when it was raining hard and when we were bored.... before we got thrown out, Or my father was politely asked to remove us. 4 kids in a 2 bed-roomed flat was not an ideal situation. Not that my father saw anything wrong with it.




To say that Cheyne's was quirky is an under statement. The food is sublime worth the drive from where we stay, the service horrendous, the wine list....sparse to say the least. The food makes up for all of that plus you can sit outside at a little table.


Eating outside would have been perfection but our hostess is very slight, feels the cold.



The prices are not low so save up if you are going there. Have plenty of patience and take your own wine...that and a few friends should make the experience interesting.

I loved every mouthful and I could have eaten twice what I did, everything was lovely and I enjoyed new and interesting things for me. Probably the closest I have come to Asian, fusion, foams, froths and drops.
Plenty of vegetarian options.

I am quite happy to go back there time and time again.






The dessert is also worth a second look...
I had the white chocolate mousse.
Hubby had a fruit salad.





FRUIT SALAD
It was truly as always a wonderful dinner with excellent company and excellent food.
WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE




CHOCOLATE


OUTSIDE

MENU Subject to change                              301217

No comments:

Post a Comment

HELP FOR THE YOUNGER JOB SEEKER

Fin24: How do graduates get jobs in this tough business environment? 'TC:   There’s such a surplus of people looking for work that so...