Thursday, 3 September 2015

SESREIM CANYON

SESREIM CANYON

08.01.2015

Woke up early as usual...you can't sleep late in the desert. Made coffee and sat and watched the sun come up and loved the way the landscape changed colour.
There are always always animals busy...finding food, building nests, chasing each other. We have birds that swoop in, a huge flock...they find all the crumbs and then fly off. It was so funny the first time I saw it. I call them the vacuum cleaners.
           






Mornings are lazy as you don't really want to move. I just sit and drink my coffee and look at the land around me.
Food has become just fuel. Water is the most important thing. Lunch and dinner are just simple...cheese, tomato, salad....whatever. looking, seeing, exploring is what we look forward to.

This place changes every time you drive anywhere. 
There are so many different faces. I thought that it would be all sand. Namibia for me is 'The land where time began' It continually shows you how the earth was formed.
It is the one place I have found that you actually commune with the Universe. At night the stars are all around you, there is no beginning and there is no end. 

  We plan to go to Sesreim   Canyon today. It is inside the reserve. I am hoping there will be water. I need to swim.



It was very hot very early....but it is summer so the heat is part of what you have.
We went over to the Hotel and booked our tickets and made sure of the route. There are signs everywhere so it is easy to find.

The drive was nice however it was incredibly hot. I have been going through 8 or 9 litres of water some days.


You could miss the canyon if you didn't know it was there. It is more of a little Canyon than a large one.
 



We descended into the canyon and walked for a while but could not find any water. So we walked and looked at the rock formations. We had driven as far as we could go but could still not find water. The canyon was great inside and the rocks that one could see going up, had shards of all kinds of stones. The heat was killing though.





















We went back up and I collected the most beautiful stones. 






The best were the pieces of fossilized pieces of stone. They looked as if plant matter had been pressed into them and it was just so interesting. Came back at about three and I walked up to the Internet cafe for a while to chat to the family. There was no ice which was an irritation so I got some cold still water. 

Made soup for supper and photographed the stars. Waited for the moon to come out but it only came out at  22.30 and I could not get the camera to focus properly. The sky was just amazing though.




I love the night time. I sit in the heated darkness and look at the stars. You can see the planets and the satellites tracking across the sky. When I was young I used to sit out with my grandfather and he would know exactly where each satellite was. It was the only time he would really talk though...about the stars and the constellations and whatever was hiding in the sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment

HELP FOR THE YOUNGER JOB SEEKER

Fin24: How do graduates get jobs in this tough business environment? 'TC:   There’s such a surplus of people looking for work that so...