Thursday, 20 August 2015

WEST SIDE STORY

WEST SIDE STORY
19/08/2015

Last night I went Artscape.

For those who don't know it is our biggest theatre in Cape Town. I was VERY privileged to watch West Side Story. It was my BF's mom's 81st birthday so she booked seats for us. We agonised over where to sit...downstairs.. or upstairs and in the end decided to sit in the Balcony. We booked front row in the middle. Well the choice was awesome, our view down was unrestricted, we could see everything with enough legroom. 
We parked downstairs in the basement which was fine for us but unfortunately there is no lift to whisk you up so mom had to walk up all those stairs. We should have dropped her off and then parked. 

Once we got to the ground floor it was much better.


Nicely designed with posters and nooks everywhere. Someone assisted us and said that we would access our seats from the 4th floor but should enjoy a drink on the 1st floor, We took her advice and stopped at the bar. There were not many people around and we got a table and sent Kelly.....the daughter off to fetch us drinks. This is where the kids pay their way.  Aunt Moira was enjoying her birthday and she dressed for the occasion. She looked lovely and nowhere near her 81 years. My BF and I have been friends since we were 8 years old so she has known me since we were young. She told me that her and her husband, when he was alive used to come to the theatre regularly as hubby had a client that would often drop of comps. She said that they had seen some beautiful performances. I had forgotten that fact but still could not imagine Uncle Henry enjoying musicals and opera. The drinks were not cheap but we enjoyed our sherry. 
The place started filling up and I could see that it would be a busy evening. 
We were told to pre book our drinks for interval and that was a very wise decision. 


 
MAIN FOYER

We went out to the terrace for a cigarette and enjoyed the sight of Cape Town at night. 
We didn't realise that there was some sort of restaurant outside, enclosed. We would have gone to sample it but ran out of time so I can't comment on the food.  We travelled on up to the 2nd floor where we were told that cocktails were being served. Apparently the West Side Cocktail is a must.


CAPE TOWN FORESHORE

The view from the theatre is lovely
but the wind as usual is a problem. 
We took the lift up to the 2nd floor....but be warned they are slow in coming. Even though they are large it takes time to find an empty one. The 2nd floor bar was nicer than the 1st floor and people were lounging around drinking sparkling wine and doing the whole theatre speak thing. 
Plenty of arty types with flowing scarves and velvet gowns. 
It has always amused me but that is just my anti elitist blood coming out. I am plain, down to earth... no nonsense kind of person. Don't get me wrong I can dress if I am in the mood but I don't do the whole airs and graces kissing three times kind of thing. 




We booked our coffee for the interval and paid. Deborah asked if there was a ticket or something but the lady smiled and said she would remember. When we came out there were 4 cups waiting. 

We strolled around and then decided to go and find our seats. Debs bought programs and they were R50.00 each. I like to keep those kind of things.


We then moved up to the 4th floor. They only have one person on the doors checking tickets so it gets backed up.


Couldn't wait for the show to start.




2nd FLOOR LOUNGE
The seats were easy to find and well numbered. The view was great.




 


Once it started I was enthralled. The voices, the music, the dancers. Everything was perfect. I quickly got caught up in the story and time passed all to quick. The characters were well cast and perfect in their roles. Maria deserves a special mention. Her voice was exquisite. I have very rarely heard better. The show could travel anywhere in the world and compete.


Officer Cronkie drove onto stage in this cute police car. Gave us all a laugh.
POLICE CAR

THE GANGS
TONY & MARIA





Tony was gorgeous as are all the men. His voice was really good as well.
Maria was cast very well as she came across as young and naive and very sweet.








 The sets were excellent and it was a pleasure to watch them sliding from side to side...back and forward, Up and down. I was laughing to myself at one time as I wondered what would happen if they pushed the wrong button.
The costumes were basic but good. In one scene depicted below the back of the hoodies looked like skeletons.



I thought i would be bored but I wasn't at any stage. I looked forward to every moment. I will definitely be going to more of our stage productions.

 
Artscape is still a monument to Architecture from the 70's and as far as I remember these chandeliers have been there since then. 


It was a lovely evening and it was good to see so many young people there enjoying the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment

HELP FOR THE YOUNGER JOB SEEKER

Fin24: How do graduates get jobs in this tough business environment? 'TC:   There’s such a surplus of people looking for work that so...